Pulmonology is the field of medicine that focuses specifically on the respiratory system. The respiratory system includes the organs that help you breathe. The three major parts of this system are the airway, lungs, and respiratory muscles. The airway includes the: nose, mouth, throat, voice box, windpipe, bronchi or passageways in the lungs, bronchioles or even smaller passageways in the lungs, alveoli, or air sacs in the lungs
How a pulmonologist can help you A pulmonologist works with patients facing serious or chronic breathing problems. While primary care doctors can handle mild or short-term conditions, such as those caused by a cold or respiratory infection, you’ll need to see a pulmonologist to diagnose, treat and manage more complex illnesses that primarily affect the lungs.
If you’re struggling with a respiratory disease, accurate diagnosis is the first step. A pulmonologist uses procedures such as spirometry, bloodwork, chest X-rays, CT scans, bronchoscopies and sleep studies to diagnose chronic lung disease.
Pulmonologists treat everything from asthma to tuberculosis. They have expertise in the following types of respiratory disorders:
- neoplastic, which means having to do with a tumor
MBBS, MD-PULMONARY MEDICINE
Diseases & Conditions
Hospital houses Modular Operation Theaters which have all the facilities to conduct an error free surgery
With advanced Imaging diagnostics equipment within the hospital, patients need not go anywhere else
Advanced Pulmonology Treatment
The Center for Pulmonology and Critical Care Medicine at St Theresas Hospital Hyderabad offers complete treatments for pulmonary diseases and disorders, Sleep disorders, Pulmonology hypertension, Asthma, Pneumonia, Chronic obstructive lung disease, ACDS, Severe respiratory failure, COPD Septicemia, Acute lung injury, Poly-trauma, flail chest, acute and chronic respiratory failure, and various lung infections.
Advanced Lung Treatment Hospital in Hyderabad Lung transplants and combined heart-lung transplants are performed by a team of specialist doctors including pulmonologist, transplant physicians, transplant surgeon, transplant nurse coordinator, transplant social worker, psychologist and physical therapist.
- Single maintenance and reliever therapy (SMART) for asthma
- Endobronchial Ultrasound (EBUS), a minimally invasive procedure used to diagnose lung cancer, infections, and other diseases causing enlarged lymph nodes in the chest
- Removal of foreign body through lipid / fiber-optic bronchoscopy
- Surgery for Lung & Esophageal Cancer & other thoracic tumors including complex resections
- Video-Assisted Thoracic Surgery (VATS) or minimally invasive thoracic surgery
- Lung Volume Reduction Surgery for Emphysema (LVRS)
- General Thoracic Surgery including surgery for benign lung disorder, multi-drug resistant tuberculosis, pleural diseases and various mediastinal & esophageal pathologies
- Management of non-cardiac emergencies like ARDS, acute neurological emergencies, acute ventilator failure.
- Management of toxicological emergencies
- Complex electrolyte imbalances, septic shocks, postoperative medical emergencies, etc.
- ALICE -6, the latest sleep diagnostic system is managed by experienced sleep physicians and sleep technologists